Thursday, September 12, 2013

Make It Monday #131 - Striped Embossing & Stripes in the Round

You have to check out Betsy Veldman's video at Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday challenge on how to create striped embossing. This was a fun technique, although a little frustrating as the post-it note leaves a little residue behind which the embossing powders just love to stick to. It was a challenge for me to accept the stray bits of embossing powder on my completed card.

As you can see I stripe embossed my sentiment, but I also used the same technique on my flowers, what fun!



To apply this technique to the flowers I created two acetate masks that I created by die cutting circles in them - one at 7/8" & one at 1 3/8" (see pic below). I tried giving them some stick by applying two way glue and allowing to dry, however this left a lot of residue behind so I abandoned that idea. I basically just laid the acetate mask over the Versa Mark stamped image, added the EP, grabbed both the cardstock and the mask and quickly flipped them over together to dump off the excess EP.

A couple of points - 
1. you cannot do your die cut first since you need a large enough piece of cardstock to hold onto for the embossing bit. I traced the outside of my die with a pencil onto my cardstock first, then stamped the image with versa mark, embossed and then used the traced outline as a guide to die cut the flower.
2.  Make sure your cardstock piece is larger than your acetate mask so that you can easily pick up the cardstock and the mask together to remove the excess EP - this part is a bit tricky, but if a little of the powder gets under the mask it doesn't matter, it actually adds a little bit of blending of the colours which is more natural for the flower image
3. you could probably cut your circles out of a post it note, but I used acetate so that I could better see where I was placing my mask






Supplies:
Stamps - Meadow Greens, Stylish Sentiments: Birthday (PTI)
Paper - Neena Solar White CS, Miss Nelly DP (Kaisercraft), Outdoor Denim CS (CTMH)
Ink - Pear (CTMH), Versa Mark, Outdoor Denim EP, Star Spangled Blue EP, Heavenly Blue EP
Accessories - Orange Resin Blossom (Kaisercraft), bitty pearls (coloured w Copic) (CTMH)
Other - Meadow Greens die (PTI), corner rounder, acetate, 3D foam

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I LOVE how you used the circles to create the same effect with the flowers. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie this is drop dead gorgeous! Everything you did is perfect! Love the flowers, love the sentiment. Colors? Swoon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this! Your sentiment is great, but your flowers really caught my eye! I had the same trouble with stray bits of embossing powder getting stuck due to the adhesive on the sticky note! I like your masking idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally gorgeous! Glad you figured out how best to accomplish Betsy's technique ... your results are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Turned out fabulous stray or no stray embossing powder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind comments, they always make my day.